Massage has been sought in the past and continues to be sought in the present times by many people due its numerous benefits. It has been mostly available in luxury spas and fashionable healthy clubs, but today it is offered in hospitals and clinics as form of treatment such as for curing depression as it reduces stress. It is also offered in businesses and airports.
Massage involves the manipulation, rubbing and pressing of your skin in order to open up and relax your muscles, ligaments, and tendons. It ranges from simple, light stroking to deep pressures. When carrying out massage therapy, masseurs use their hands and fingers to rub and press on your skin. In some occasions, they use elbows, forearms, or even feet.
Types of massage
There are different types of massage; they include;
1. Swedish massage– This form of massage is the most common type of massage. It is simple and gentle and involves the use of long strokes, vibration, deep circular movements, kneading and tapping for the purposes of relaxation.
2. Sports massage– It is similar to Swedish massage and is mostly used by athletes and people involved in sports activities. It helps in preventing and treating injuries that sports people encounter during sports.
3. Deep massage- It uses slow, but forceful strokes that target deeper muscle layers and connective tissues. This form of massage is commonly used for damaged muscles that result from injuries.
4. Trigger point massage- It is a less gentle form of massage that focuses on areas with tight muscle fibers that sometimes form in the muscles due to injuries and overuse.
5. Aromatherapy– In this type of massage, essential oils from certain flowers or plants are added to the massage oil for their special therapeutic properties. An example is sandalwood that is known to ease nervous tension.
6. Baby massage– It treats colic, constipation and sleeping problems. It also helps premature babies gain weight faster.
Benefits of massage
Massage is commonly sought by people for the purposes of relaxation and relieving pain. Other than these purposes it has many other benefits. Massage Study Guide breaks the benefits into medical benefits, physical benefits and mental benefits. These benefits are:
Physical Benefits of Massage
Increases blood circulation which enables pumping of more oxygen to important tissues, this nourishes the skin.
It stimulates the flow of lymph against toxic materials, for instance, massage increases cancer-fighting cells in breast cancer patients.
Releases endorphins, a natural painkiller in the body that relieves pain.
It fosters faster healing of strained ligaments and muscles.
Improves flexibility of the joints and range of motion.
Relieves stress and tension and aids relaxation.
Relaxes and softens injured and overused muscles.
Relieves muscle tension, cramping and stiffness.
It enhances the performance of athletes by reducing recovery time and eliminating later pains.
Mental Benefits of Massage
It creates a relaxed state of mental alertness.
It relieves mental stress and anxiety.
It creates a serene environment for calm thinking and creativity.
It promotes a peace of mind and a feeling of well-being.
It enables an individual to monitor stress signals and respond appropriately.
In conclusion, massage is important and according to Massage Study Guide , it is advisable for people to seek it for both medical and for relaxation purposes.
You might also like these post